Introduction to the
process of making exothermic welded connections.
is recognized internationally as the premium name in exothermic welding.
- The process was developed in 1938 for welding copper alloy signal
bonds to rails.
- Designed by Dr Charles Cadwell on behalf of ERICO, the process
CADWELD in recognition of his achievement.
- Exothermic is a chemical term describing a chemical reaction which
gives off heat as the reaction takes place.
- The burning of petrol in your car engine is an example of an exothermic
- CADWELD Grounding Connections are used to weld conductors
to conductors, conductors to ground rods, conductors to steel structures,
all in various configurations and to splice ground rods in deep driven
- CADWELD connections have also been used extensively in the
field of lightning protection with the same type of connections as used
- A CADWELD welded connection produces a joint, or connection,
superior in performance to mechanical, pressure type surface-to-surface
contact connector or brazed connections.
By virtue of it's molecular bond, a CADWELD welded connection
will not loosen or corrode, with the resultant increase in resistance,
over the lifetime of the connection - even under the harshest conditions.
- CADWELD connections replace several alternative, but lesser
quality and usually higher priced, methods of joining conductors for
- Bolted type connectors.
- Shear type bolted connectors.
- Crimp type connectors
- Circumferential compression connectors.
- There are several advantages to CADWELD exothermically welded
- Current carrying (fusing) capacity of the connection is equal to
that of the conductor.
- The connections will not deteriorate with age since they are welded
and therefore permanent.
- The connection is a permanent molecular bond that cannot loosen.
- The connections are unaffected by corrosive products to the same
degree as copper.
- The connections will withstand repeated high current surges (faults)
- Minimum training is required to make a connection.
- The material to make the connection is light and portable.
- No external power or heat is required to make a connection.
- The connections can be checked for quality by visual inspection.
- The connections can be used to weld copper, copper alloys, copper
clad steel, steel of various alloys including stainless steel and
high resistance heater materials.